Sign up to Savvy Shopper
Get our latest products and offers sent to your inbox.
Respecting your privacy
The Reject Shop Limited (ABN33 006 122 676) is a discount variety retailer trading in stores throughout Australia. Information about us can be obtained by contacting our Privacy Officer on (03) 9371 5555 or by facsimile on (03) 9372 1211.
The Reject Shop acknowledges and is committed to protecting your privacy. We will collect, use and disclose and hold personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (“the Act”). We will let you know:
- when we collect information about you;
- what information we collect and hold about you and why we collect such information;
- how that information is used by us;
- if the law requires the collection of such information;
- the consequences, if any, of you not disclosing such information;
- that you can access such information and how you can access such information; and
- how you can correct such information if it is not correct.
How is your personal information collected?
- when you sign-up to our mailing list;
- when you register for or participate in competitions, promotions or surveys that we run;
- when you register or fill in forms on our websites or mobile applications;
- when you visit and use our websites and mobile applications;
- when you shop in our stores and provide your information;
- when you order goods or services from us, including gift cards;
- when you send emails, letters or other correspondence to us; or
- when you report an incident, make a complaint or provide other feedback to us;
Where we collect information from you, we will generally do so ourselves. However, in some cases we may collect information through a third party, such as through contractors who provide security or other services to us.
If you choose not to provide certain information to us, then we may not be able to provide you with certain services and you may not be able to use certain parts of our websites or mobile applications or participate in competitions or promotions that we run.
What personal information do we collect?
The information that we collect about you may include:
- your name, date of birth, email address, postal address and other contact details;
- payment information, which may include bank account or credit card details, and other information that we need in order to provide relevant goods and services to you;
- details of your shopping preferences;
- user names, passwords and other registration details that you provide when registering to use any of our websites, mobile applications or other services;
- details of your visits to and use of our websites and mobile applications, including the different parts of the websites and applications that you access during your visits;
- where you use one of our mobile applications, information about your visits to our retail stores collected through the mobile application;
- demographic information, which is not unique to you, such as your postcode, age, gender and shopping preferences, interests and favourites; and
- other information that you provide to us.
How is personal information used?
We will use and disclose your personal information for the primary purposes of our business as a retailer or a purpose related to our primary purpose such as marketing, where you consent to such disclosure or such disclosure is permitted by the Act.
In addition we may use such information to market to you products and services offered by The Reject Shop unless you have indicated that you do not wish to obtain such offers or material. Such a request can be made to the Privacy Officer. We will in such circumstances use the personal information provided for the sole purpose of providing the service you have requested.
How is personal information disclosed?
We do not disclose personal information to third parties unless we are permitted to do so by law or you have given us your consent to do so.
The personal information you have provided to us will be kept confidential and secure and will not be accessible for unauthorised use, amendment or disclosure.
The Reject Shop may utilise the services of contractors from time to time for the purposes of undertaking services as promoted by the Company. Your personal information will only be provided to these businesses for the purpose of enabling a service to be provided to you. We will not otherwise provide your personal information to a third party without your approval.
We may disclose personal information to overseas recipients, who are located in the United States of America, the Asia Pacific Region and other countries or jurisdictions depending on the nature of the services those recipients provide to The Reject Shop (for example storing data via a cloud service, or where The Reject Shop’s customer relationship management system is hosted on servers located overseas, or where delivery address information for online orders is managed via a third party located overseas).
We take active steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access or use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse. This includes any information that we disclose overseas.
Where data is held overseas, we require third parties to store such data in restricted access premises and provide appropriate protection against unauthorised disclosure. As a minimum security requirement, password authentication is required to access those databases in all cases.
When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy, delete or de-identify it in a secure manner.
How can I access and update my personal information?
You are able to access or correct the personal information we hold about you at any time by accessing your online profile, or contacting our customer service line on 1800 668 292 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by writing to the Privacy Officer, The Reject Shop, 245 Racecourse Road, Kensington VIC 3031. Before we provide you with access to your personal information we may require some proof of identity.
We will reasonably attempt to ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, up to date and complete. To assist us to do this please provide us with the correct information and inform us if your details have changed. If we deny you access to information or deny a request for correction we will provide you with the reasons why we have denied you access or corrected such information in the circumstances.
Direct marketing and opting out
By providing your address, email address and telephone numbers to The Reject Shop, you consent to The Reject Shop contacting you for the purposes set out above. We may send this information in a variety of ways, including by mail, email, social media, SMS, MMS, telephone and if you download them any The Reject Shop Apps. You can opt out of being contacted by:
- contacting our customer service line on 1800 668 292 or email at email@example.com, or by writing to the Privacy Officer, The Reject Shop, 245 Racecourse Road, Kensington VIC 3031; or
- using the unsubscribe facility that we include in our electronic messages (e.g. email, SMS or MMS) to opt out of receiving those messages.
How can I find out what personal information The Reject Shop holds about me?
If you would like to access or update your personal information, you can contact our customer service line on 1800 668 292, or write to them at 245 Racecourse Road, Kensington VIC 3031. We prefer to receive written requests as this may assists us in verifying your identity.
If you are concerned with the way The Reject Shop has handled your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer with your complaint. We will make available to you a Privacy Complaint Form, which you will be required to complete and return to us. This will ensure the prompt investigation of your complaint. If we have not handled your personal information in an appropriate way we will take steps to remedy your concerns promptly.
If we have not responded to you within a reasonable time, you are entitled under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) to make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
More information about Privacy law and the National Privacy Principles is available from the Federal Privacy Commissioner atwww.privacy.gov.au.
What is a cookie?
When you visit www.rejectshop.com.au, we automatically collect non-identifying aggregate information such as your domain name, browser type, referral and demographic information. This is solely for the purpose of monitoring our website traffic. This information gives us an insight on which pages are visited most frequently. This is used to improve the site so we can provide a better experience for you as a customer. We do not monitor your activity outside of our site, but we do gather information on what sites refer traffic to us.
Third Party Cookies and how to reject cookies
You can choose to decline cookies, but if you do so, you may not be able to fully experience our online interactive features. Anyone may opt out of these programs at any time by visiting Google Analytics'for the web.
The Reject Shop is not responsible for the privacy practices of sites linked to The Reject Shop via hyperlinks, banner advertising or other means. Please take care at all times when visiting another site.